Our aim is that pupils at Willowbrook School:
- Consider challenging questions about the meaning and purpose of life;
- Learn about - and from - a range of different religions and world views;
- Develop a wide vocabulary to understand and talk about religion, using correct terminology.
- Develop a respect for different viewpoints; ensuring they go on to become tolerant citizens in our society.
At Willowbrook School we use the 'Discovery RE' scheme of work. The scheme is an enquiry-based model which is all about pupils developing a rich knowledge and understanding of different faiths so that they are able to answer 'big questions' about them. In this way, children’s critical thinking skills are developed and they learn to become more empathetic with different people and their beliefs, religious or otherwise. The scheme takes very seriously the philosophy that children are free to make their own choices and decisions concerning religion and belief. RE does not try to persuade, but rather to inform and develop the skills with which evaluation can take place.
There are two attachments below:
1. A vertical progression map showing the journey our pupils take in RE at Willowbrook School (to be added soon).
3. A diagram outlining the typical structure of Discovery RE units.